Intersectionality and EcoFeminism

Intersectionality and Ecofeminism

Intersectionality in Feminism is an approach that encompasses all oppressions and the fact they are all interconnected. Kimberle’ Crenshaw first defined it  as a “metaphorical and conceptual tool used to highlight the inability of a single-axis framework to capture the experiences of black women” (Kings). Intersectionality dissects the interconnectedness of race, class, gender, disability, sexuality, caste, religion, age, etc. in relation to discrimination, oppression, and women. “People experience multiple aspects of identity simultaneously and the meanings of different aspects of identity are shaped by one another” (Kang, Lessard and Heston). Crenshaw developed this term in 1989. It was a way for black women to express how they were discriminated against by race and gender and further by class, and economic status. Crenshaw and Patricia Hill assert that environmental movements don’t take black women struggles into account and therefore, “there is no movement that truly addresses the intersectional oppression black women face from sexism and environmental racism” (Cain). The theory of intersectionality is specific but flexible and can be used in a variety of ways when discussing oppression in feminism.

Ecofeminist’s argue that they have been applying the concepts of intersectionality before 1989.

Ecofeminism says, “A healthy, balanced ecosystem, including human and nonhuman inhabitants, must maintain diversity” (Bookchin), diversity that encompasses all living things. Ecofeminism surfaced in the 1970’s and 1980’s and claims to have had an understanding of intersectionality before the term was coined.  Similar to the principles of intersectionality, ecofeminist’s strive to demonstrate how the lives of humans are interconnected in the environment, specifically women in. Further, “classism, sexism, heterosexism, naturism, and speciesism are all intertwined” (Hobgood-Oster). For example, Ynestra King contests that nature and culture are separate thus making an intersectional connection to ecofeminism. Similarly ecofeminist principles suggest an intersectional approach believing, “life is an interconnected, web not a hierarchy” (Bookchin). Ecofeminist principles support diversity and oppose domination and violence. Most central to ecofeminism is that women and nature are oppressed by patriarchal structures. Ecofeminist show the connections between all forms of domination, including the domination of nonhuman nature (Bookchin).

Black Women and Ecofeminism

Despite ecofeminism’s inclusion of an intersectional approach black feminist critique that ecofeminist principles fail to recognize the struggles of black women and their environmental concerns.  In “Women of Color, Environmental Justice and Ecofeminism”, Dorceta Taylor compares how the mainstream environmental movement and the ecofeminist movement focus primarily on the middle class and white women rather than include the black community (Cain).  Although ecofeminist seek to eradicate the patriarchal and economic forms of oppression that degrade women and the environment Taylor says black women of degraded communities are “the waste products of capitalist production and excessive consumption” (Cain). This argument would suggest that ecofeminism is not intersectional its approach.

However, the interconnected web of ecofeminism connects women and the environment as well as race, class, sexuality, religion, disability, species and age.  Martin Luther King Junior said, “No one is free until we are all free.” This quote demonstrates that black people or white people aren’t free until the other is free. According to Kings, “Intersectional ecofeminism builds upon this foundation by further postulating that the ‘freedom’ of humanity is not only reliant on the freedom of nature and women, but it is also reliant on the achievement of liberation for all of those at intersecting points on along these fault lines” (Kings). Ecofeminism’s interconnected web has been looking at the connection of women and the environment in an intersectional way and has evolved to include more ways we can look at ecology and feminism in relation to different degrees of oppression and will continue to evolve. To preserve diversity ecofeminist must look at all participants in an intersectional way. Although intersectionality may not offer a complete solution to issues of difference it can help us to explore ways that different forms of oppression impact those who would otherwise be ignored.

Bibliography

Bookchin, Murray. The Ecology of Feminsm and the Feminism of Ecology. 27 Oct 2019. 26 March 2020 <https://libcom.org/library/ecology-feminism-feminism-ecology>.

Cain, Cacldia. “The Necessity of Balck Women’s Standpoint and Intersectionality in Environmental Movements .” Black Feminist Thought 2016 (2016).

Hobgood-Oster, Laura. “Ecofeminism: Historic and International Evolution.” 31 January 2020 <http://users.clas.ufl.edu/bron/pdf–christianity/Hobgood-Oster–Ecofeminism-International%20Evolution.pdf>.

Kings, A.E. “Intersectionality and the Changing Face of Ecofeminism.” Ethics and the Environment 22.1 (2017).

Annotated Bibliography

Kang, Miliann, et al. Introduction to Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies . Amherst: University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries, 2017.

The section of this book on Intersectionality is part of a larger category of gender studies titled, “Introduction to Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies”. This section details the concept of intersectional analysis. The problem that can be run into is when issues that surround feminism stop at gender. Intersectionality is a theory that can further explore the interconnected issues that apply to feminism. The book on a whole explores other issues that impact feminism such as binary systems, institutions, culture, work-family policy, economy and social movements.

5 Replies to “Intersectionality and EcoFeminism”

1. Hi Holly,
    I really enjoyed reading your post about intersectionality and think that you made a lot of great points. First off you explained what it is really well but one thing I liked about your post was the pictures you posted. The chart that you posted explains the concept of intersectionality perfectly. It applies all the concepts and brings them together in a chart as a way to make better sense of them. I think Tatum explained these ideas really well. “The looking glass self is not a flat one-dimensional reflection, but multidimensional” (Tatum 9). That quote from Tatum sums up what intersectionality is, It is this idea that so much can shape and identify what and who a person and it takes their entire life to do so. However, we cannot forget that all forms of oppression play a huge role into this. Feminists focus a lot on oppression and women who have been oppressed in the past and women who are oppressed in the present still hold onto that. Something that has happened in the past has shaped the person who is here today. Intersectionality really focuses on this and it connects with ecofeminism because ecofeminists have these same beliefs. They do not want to let go of these ideas because going back to women and nature associations there have been assumptions that this why women are more connected to nature then men.

2. Hello Holly,

I do find it interesting that you brought up the oppression black women face between sexism and environmental racism. I too in my blog express from my own personal experiences how intersectionality can be influenced by almost any and everything, to anyone. Some how, some way you will always be related or connected to something you don’t really have anything to do with. In other times you can be disconnected in something that you are very apart of and it is unseen by those around you who aren’t aware. I believe intersectionlity and is all about speech and bringing awareness to those who lack the knowledge. We may not be able to get them to see it clearly, but at least they will have the thought put into their minds.

Here is an article I found that discusses race and intersectionality “Connecting experiences of gender with race at work”

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191308518300121

3. Hi Holly,

I loved that you had a counterclaim for the ecofeminist perspective, saying that some believe that ecofeminism doesn’t include black women. This was very interesting to read because until now, I hadn’t read anything against the ecofeminist perspective. I also liked that you explained later that this was not true because ecofeminism does, in fact, include everyone. I wanted to add, and you did mention this, that ecofeminism is a movement of its own and its main fight is against gender inequality and the degradation of the environment. However, they do include other movements as well because we have read articles about ecofeminism in other parts of the world involving women of color and all races. So, I don’t agree with that statement about ecofeminism not being inclusive. I actually believe that this is one of the movements that can’t exclude people even if they wanted to because everyone can relate to the environment because we are all experiencing it. Therefore, ecofeminism is definitely intersectional in every sense of the word.

4. Hello Holly, very well written post. Intersectionality has always been important to me even long before I knew the concept by name. During my early college years I considered an antifeminist, a lot of this was just me being reactionary to having poor relations with women and an even poorer understanding of feminist ideology (not to mention history and politics) but a big part of it was also due to not feeling included in feminist activism (I still hold this belief but it comes from a much more informed place than it did back in 2013). When I say that I didn’t feel included I mean that I felt like my life was being viewed as a life of privilege simply because I was a white male. To put it another way, it felt like I was being told I was going through life on easy mode when life felt very difficult for me. I felt that feminists didn’t understand the ways in which my life was affected by my class, my neurotype (I am autistic), and I also was in the closet at the time which created so many other feelings. It wasn’t until I started seeing intersectionality as a part of feminism that my opinion changed, when I started seeing my poor voices, more neurodiversity, etc my mind opened. I think overall intersectionality it the most important tool in the feminist arsenal (I apologize for how cringe inducing of a sentence that is but it is the best way I can think to put it at the moment).

Was this class your first exposure to feminism, do you see it as an essential element? Would love to hear some more of your views on this.

1. Hi!
      I understand where you’re coming from. Throughout feminism the “white patriarchal male” description is pretty heavy. However I think its in the context of a way of thinking rather than in an individual bases. I also understand your struggle with feminism. This is not my first class involving feminism. I’m a Women’s and Gender Studies major and have been introduced to the subject for three years and I feel like there is always more to learn but I develop a better understanding of feminism each day. Your right intersectionality is such an important piece of feminism and all other aspects of life. You are a perfect example. Although a “white male” your identity is still intersectional meaning there are more characteristics to you than just race and gender. In our discussion on intersectionality it was critiqued as having to many ism’s suggesting that by recognizing the “ism’s we were reinforcing the inequality people face. However think it’s important to recognize people’s differences/identities so we can practice acceptance. My son also has a disability and it isn’t who he is but a part of who he is. Everyone is made up of different identities (race, class, gender, religion, economic status, etc.) So yes, I do see intersectionality as an essential element in feminism as well as in a general setting. Thank you for your comment!